[bookcourier] update install problem

  • From: "Don Bishop" <w6smb@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "bookcourier@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <bookcourier@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 15 Jan 2006 15:12:19 -0800

Hi,

I'm hoping someone has some suggestions here.

I installed the transfer tool upgrade on my pc.  I did not uninstall the old
transfer tool version first, just installed the new over it.

This install did not work well with window eyes and had to use the mouse
pointer but finally got it installed.

I then connected the bc to the usb port and the transfer tool started.  I did a
check for updates and found the firmware update and clicked yes to start the
process.

The files were reported as copied and I got the message on the pc to disconnect
the bc from the computer to complete the install.

I hit okay and then disconnected the bc.  I did hear a couple of messages and
waited for approximately one minute but didn't hear any beeps indicating the
unit went to sleep.

The message said to wait about 30 seconds, but I decided to give it a full
minute.

When I attempted to use the bc, it appeared to be sluggish and the buttons such
as volume and library were not announcing.  I hit the settings button and
got a message saying announcements missing.  When trying to scroll through
settings I keep getting this announcements missing message.  And, none of
the other controls will announce their functions and I don't seem to be able to
go into the library and scroll through the items.

When I did the upgrade I had a 1 Gb card in the unit rather than the 256 Mb
card which came with the bc.

There appears to be no way of doing the firmware upgrade again as the transfer
tool now reports that I have the latest firmware version.

As  it is, the bc is really not usable.

Does anyone have any way I can get out of this short of sending it to Springer?

Thanks,

Don