[blotslauget] Re: Conan around the corner

  • From: "Ernst Gunnar Gran" <ernstgr@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <blotslauget@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 20 Apr 2008 01:56:46 +0200

>> Disk:
>> I think I will go for the Raptor disk, but Ernst where you talking
>> about running system disk in Raid? ( I have never tried it but heard
>> that it?s not good to run Raid on a system disk)
>
>Depends on what Raid you will be using
>(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Redundant_array_of_independent_disks) :)
>
>RAID 0 is striping. This is when you write different data on both disks
>at the same time. So in theory you can get twice the speed. Real life is
>ofc different but there is alot of speed to be gained (read some
>tomshardware articles about it). Problem is, and this is why ppl say not
>to do it on system disks, that if 1 of the disks fail you loose all
>data. With 2 disks you double your risk of disk failure. You get to use
>the accumulated disk space of both disks. So twice the storage as 1
>disk.

That is an issue ofc, but on all my home computers in 20 years I've never
had a HD failure. Call me lucky :D

>RAID 1 is mirroring. When data is written to 1 disk, the same data is
>written to disk number 2. No speedgain, but no speeddrop either. When 1
>disk fails you still have the data and can keep running 100% speed. Then
>you replace broken disk and the raid builds itself so you have 2 disks
>and are ready for a new failure. You only have the storage of the size
>of 1 disk.
>
>Other RAIDs are for different uses.
>If you have 4 disks or more (even number) you can build RAID 1+0 :)
>Thats disks mirrored and striped. So double speed, double redundancy.
>But you only have double diskcapasity.
>Gotta love it when you have 8x15k SCSI/SAS disks in RAID 1+0 :)

Well...if you're gonna use more than 2 disks I'd definitely have a look at
raid5 - even if I had to buy a secondary raid controller. You'll prob get
one at about 1500,- (or maybe a little more - do some research) that is
quite ok :) But 3+ disks and a controller will had some NOK to it :S

Fidelis