[blotslauget] SV: Re: SV: Re: Conan around the corner

  • From: Fredrik Salvesen <frsalv@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Ernst Gunnar Gran <ernstgr@xxxxxxxxx>, <blotslauget@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 18 Apr 2008 14:30:05 +0200 (MEST)

Hi again,
Thank you all for very constructive feedback on my setup. I plan to order it
this weekend, but it seems I have to order from 3 different online shops :-|

I plan to build it myself and overclock the CPU.

When it comes to noise Im not really that concerned, this PC will only be for
gaming, I have a very silent mediacenter by the TV, so this machine will be in
a separate room.

Disk:
I think I will go for the Raptor disk, but Ernst where you talking about
running system disk in Raid? ( I have never tried it but heard that it?s not
good to run Raid on a system disk)

Vista version.
I have read alot about 32 and 64 bit version the last week, it seems like
people have some problems, but it also seems like they can be fixed if you plan
a bit. I initially wanted 8gb of RAM but found that to become too expensive,
but my plan is to get it when the prices comes a bit down, so I think I will go
for the 64 bit. If it fails Ill add XP :-)

Power.
Im not sure I need 1000w, but I also want the PC to be a bit future proof, so I
can add an extra 9800x2 card if needed. I also want to run the water cooling
from the PC power supply - Ill look at it again, but Microplex tells me that
the 1000w is quite silent.

790i ultra
I have read some forums and test where they use the q6600 on a Asus Striker II
extreme and they are able to over clock it quite far, so I believe it will
work. But I really appreciate a notice if someone has heard something else. See
http://www.overclock3d.net/reviews.php?/cpu_mainboard/asus_striker_ii_extreme_790i_ddr3_motherboard/5

Br
Fredrik