[blindwoodworker] Re: 54Eucalyptus?

  • From: Larry Martin <woodworkingfortheblind@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: blindwoodworker@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 24 Nov 2009 09:06:29 -0600

That was a night and day review -- shows that almost every opinion we have is basically formed well before we see or review something.

I see a fair amount of exquisite woodworking from Aussies on display in various gallery shows here in Chicago. I'm impressed with the contemporary style of woodworking coming out of Australia, New Zealand and Tasmania. I've worked with David Haig from Nelson, New Zealand and am very impressed by the swooping iconic lines of his steam-bent curved rocking chair. I also know David Upfill-Brown from Canberra and am really impressed with the variety of his designs, particularly his Amatory chair that somehow has the arms reaching in a curve towards the back and lapping over the curved top ends of the rear legs. Both of them have taught at the Center for Furniture Craftsmanship in Rockport, Maine.

p.s. we do not have any members of Woodworking for the Blind outside of the U.S., Canada and the U.K. but would love to welcome you as a member. A Membership Kit is attached if you're interested. We will, of course, continue to look to you for Everything Eucalyptus.

On Nov 23, 2009, at 11:44 PM, JDM wrote:

g'day again Larry,

Hmmmm, just found another review of the movie "Australia" in Filmic Magazine.  It contrasts sharply from the other 2 reviews I sent earlier.  The movie now interests me, and I may try and dig up the DVD someplace. I had no idea that it was set in and around Darwin just at the beginning of WW2, when the Japanese air raids bombed Darwin, Broome and many other northern towns of Australia bback to the stone age. Darwin received approximately 20 times more tonnage of boms than were dropped on Pearl Harbour Hawaii. My father, an Officer in the Royal Australian air force,was in Darwin at the time of those Japanese air raids, but he was never able to speak with me about the experience.  "Some things are best left unsaid, just don't ask son!" was what he'd always say before changing topic.

I was in Darwin a couple of years ago. The whole city has been re-built twice since those Japanese air raids.  Once after the air raid bombings, and a second time after Cyclone tracey obliterated the city in December 1974.  Darwin is, even today, something of a frontier town. The Hotel, or Pub bathrooms, are not marked as "Gentlemen / Ladies," but rather as "Blokes /pokes!"

OK, here is a more glowing review of the movie "Australia." hope it is of interest.

John Milburn

Melbourne Australia.

Australia (Film)
by Erin Free of Filmic Magazine, November 20, 2008 10:43 | Edited December 02, 2008 15:15

Rating: M

Running Time: 165

Country: Australia

Director: Baz Luhrmann

Cast: Bryan Brown, Hugh Jackman, Nicole Kidman, Jack Thompson, David Wenham

Distributor: 20th Century Fox

Film Worth: $15.00

Release Date: November 26, 2008

“…a stunning experience…”

Australia is the kind of film that draws a metaphorical line in the sand. If you're cynical, and you enjoy tough, gritty films, then keep

moving. If, however, you prefer movies that hit the screen with a stylistic flourish, and that unapologetically wear their hearts on their

sleeve, then Australia will be your kind of film. Rich, ambitious and often brave, this is a film that reaches, with desperately clawing

outstretched hands, for greatness. Within the scope of its intent - namely to be a classic, old fashioned, melodramatic epic along the lines

of Hollywood favourites like Gone With The Wind - it succeeds. It's cast in a very specific mould, and while being "over the top" is a

criticism aimed at many films, exaggerated action and feeling actually represent Australia's entire reason for being. It's unashamed in its

full-throttle emotion and grandiosity, and director Baz Luhrmann's famous chocolate-box visuals immediately set the film in a wholly

different world. With its vivid colours, purple prose and archetypal characters, Australia exists on a plane of nostalgic joy.

The story follows Lady Sarah Ashley (Nicole Kidman), an English aristocrat who leaves England to confront her errant husband in

Australia just before WW2, where he intends to sell off his enormous, sprawling cattle station = Cattle Ranch. Lady Ashley, however, ends up inheriting

the cattle station, or Ranch, and in order to save it, she must undertake an epic cattle drive to Darwin. Assisting her is Hugh Jackman's tough, no-

nonsense drover, whose terse, aggressive world is the exact opposite to Lady Ashley's rarefied existence. In the course of their

journey, the unlikely couple fall in love, and Lady Ashley is made to re-evaluate her increasingly complex life. Coupled with the

presence of a young Aboriginal boy, Nullah (Brandon Walters), Lady Ashley's feelings for The Drover bring her even closer to her

inherited home. But when they arrive in Darwin, Lady Ashley and The Drover will be faced with a tragedy that dwarfs anything in their

own lives: the Japanese bombing of the city on 19 February, 1942, the largest attack ever mounted by a foreign power against Australia.

Australia is everything you'd expect: it looks beautiful; Hugh Jackman and Nicole Kidman (both excellent) have a sizzling chemistry;

the local fauna and flora are on show for international audiences; the exorbitant budget has resulted in a number of stirring, eye popping

set pieces; the performances from the massive local cast (David Wenham stands out as the film's nasty villain) are strong and full

bodied; and all of the technical credits (costuming, production design etc) are beyond reproach. There are, however, surprises aplenty.

There's lots of humour (the opening twenty minutes is a cacophony of screwball comic weirdness), and also, even more enjoyably, lots

of social comment. As much as anything else, Australia is about race relations in this country, and in particular White Australia's often

shabby treatment of the country's original inhabitants. The story strain involving Nullah (Brandon Walters is an absolute revelation, and

steals the film from his much bigger co-stars with his luminous face and unaffected, engaging delivery) opens the door for much

discussion about The Stolen Generation and related issues.

This is all weaved directly throughout the narrative, and is not there for tokenistic effect. In the same way that The Civil War formed the

backdrop for Gone With The Wind, and the effects of racism infused George Stevens' 1956 epic Giant (the film to which Australia

actually bears the most resemblance), white-and-black Australian relations provide the narrative backbone for Australia. As well as

giving the film a sturdy core, it also provides excellent roles for indigenous actors (David Ngoombujarra is excellent as Jackman's fellow

drover, while David Gulpilil brings his usual majestic grace to his role as a mysterious "magic man"), and provides layers of extra

meaning. While Australia succeeds monumentally as a sweeping romantic epic, it derives much of its power from its treatment and

discussion of indigenous issues.

Director Baz Luhrmann has further upped his reputation as a singular visionary, but with Australia, he's shown unequivocally that he's

also a singular visionary who cares - about filmmaking, about telling stories, and about exposing and drawing attention to some of his

country's darkest moments. In short, Australia is a stunning experience, and one to be cherished. Unless, of course, you're too cynical to enjoy candy-coloured sunsets and long, passionate kisses in the rain...