[blindcooks] Re: air fryers

  • From: "Jonathan Rawlings" <twosocks76@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <blindcooks@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 1 Apr 2019 22:25:46 -0700

I am with Butch here one hundred percent. The idea being marketted behind these things is that you can get all the flavor and pleasant eating benefits of shallow or deep-fried foods, but with far less oil, fat, calories, and mess. The truth is, however, that air fryers just don't deliver on that promise at all. When food is fried in oil, the cooking medium, the fat, is right up against the food. It surrounds the food at all points, and is in constant contact with it. Hot oil conducts heat far, far more efficiently and quickly than does air at the same temperature. If you doubt me, heat a pot of oil to 375 degrees while also preheating your oven to 375 degrees. Now, which one would you rather put your hand into, the hot oil or the hot air in the oven? This matters, because it simply is not possible for hot air to have the same effect on the food as does the hot oil. It is impossible to duplicate the effects of food fried in oil using hot air. I don't care what the manufacturers try to tell you or what selling points they hit you with. Air fryers are good as tabletop convection ovens, and they do have some good uses, but mostly, they're worthless, in my professional opinion.
  Jon

-----Original Message----- From: Tiny Puppy-butchb
Sent: Monday, April 01, 2019 6:48 PM
To: blindcooks@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [blindcooks] Re: air fryers

I have used a "air fryer".  There are those who like them, used mine a
couple times and now it sits on the bottom shelf.  I've gone back to my
traditional deep fryer and food tastes much better.  The air stuff just
tastes very very dry.  If any of you remember those air pop corn poppers,
the result was the same.  If you didn't put butter on the pop corn, which I
don't, salt wouldn't even stick to it.  My vote is thumbs down on air
fryers.
Just my opinion.

----- Original Message ----- From: "Liz Wade" <ewade@xxxxxxxxxx>