[blindcooks] Re: Up cooking early/cooking terminology?

  • From: "Jon Rawlings" <twosocks76@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <blindcooks@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 26 Apr 2014 10:41:25 -0700

Jacob:
     I feel it necessary to correct a very common misconception on the heals of
your last post.  There is no such thing as sealing in flavors or juices when
cooking meat of any kind by searing or browning or grilling or sauteing.  That
is a widely-held myth.  It is true that when foods are cooked in this way that
a crust forms and that when properly executed, the meat is moist and juicy, but
the formation of that crust does not, in and of itself, keep the juices in the
meat.  As for the rest of your post; I apologize, but I found it difficult to
follow and understand.  You referred to pre-cooking cubes of lamb when making a
curry or a stew.  I'll admit that the terms searing and browning are often used
synonymously, but to me, they are slightly different.  In North America, often
times when a beef stew is made, the cubes of beef are dusted with seasoned
flour and browned before the rest of the ingredients are added.  This is the
flour both helps a flavorful crust form on the meat, as well as helping the
sauce in the stew to thicken and take on some body.  If this step is done
without the flour, I would call it searing, or, if the heat is a bit lowering,
perhaps it would be sauteing.   Jon