[blind-democracy] Re: interesting article by blind photographer

  • From: Miriam Vieni <miriamvieni@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: blind-democracy@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 28 Aug 2015 15:27:40 -0400

Bob,

I'll respond to your second point first. You're absolutely correct and this
has always been the case. It was true 54 years ago when I graduated from
social work school and it continued to be true throughout my working life.
Even so, social work was one of the professions to which blind people were
directed by rehab counselors. Social work was divided into practise areas
and some of them were a bit more welcoming to visually impaired and blind
social workers than others. For example, it was somewhat easier to become a
medical social worker than a psychiatric social worker. Also, here in the
New York metro area, Catholic Charities was more likely to hire blind social
workers than other sighted agencies. Of course, most of us were encouraged
to work for agencies for the blind. Years after I had my graduate degree, I
wanted to enter a psychotherapy training program as many social workers in
New York did. I was consistently refused with the excuse that you cited,
that I wouldn't be able to see the facial expressions and body language of
patients. Interestingly, there was a period in the late 90's when social
workers were doing counseling by phone and email and not seeing people's
body language apparently was no longer an issue.

As for your point about travel: The Industrial Home For The Blind, now Helen
Keller Services, covered Brooklyn, Queens, Nassau, and Suffolk counties.
Blind rehab teachers and social workers were expected to visit the clients
who lived in Brooklyn and Queens because public transportation is available
in those counties, although actually, it is not available in outer Queens.
But sighted people had to work in the other counties where public
transportation is inadequate. The Lighthouse used to provide drivers for
blind rehab cteachers which I thought was much more efficient, but which I H
B people scoffed at. But many social work jobs, at least when I was working,
involved seeing people in offices. There was counseling that was done in
family service agencies and psychiatric clinics, and social work in
hospitals, psychiatric settings, nursing homes, and V A facilities. None of
those involved traveling. Now-a-days? I have no idea what anyone is doing.