[blind-democracy] Re: interesting article by blind photographer

  • From: Miriam Vieni <miriamvieni@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: blind-democracy@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 27 Aug 2015 11:50:19 -0400

Carl,

You were born in America and grew up in the area where you ended up seeking
work as a blind person. You had sight as an adult and had jobs before you
became totally blind. You had relationships before you became totally blind.
All of these gave you many advantages that Abdulah doesn't have. He is new
to this country. He is still learning to be proficient in english. He is
totally blind. So it is much more difficult for him to even know what
groups to join, let alone, to be integrated into these groups. I don't know
if there are people in his area of Texas who do the kind of work that Sylvie
does in Seattle, but that's who he needs to connect with, someone who can
help him become more proficient in reading and speaking english and in
finding entry into this society, because being an immigrant and totally
blind in a state which isn't known for its welcoming attitudes toward people
who aren't white Christians, is really hard.