[blind-chess] Re: Transcribers...

  • From: "Hugh Pharis" <h62730mp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <blind-chess@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 11 Apr 2010 20:30:34 -0400

Hello, Rod,
Have you possibly thought of checking out the NLS website? I just tried it a little while ago; and there are quite a few volunteer transcribers in virtually the entire U.S. After you get the website, tab to "Braille transcribers" and you'll possibly find someone who may be able to meet your need.

I was fortunate, as I said, to find, with the help of my local Braille librarian, a transcriber in the Atlanta area some ten years ago who was familiar with chess, the algebraic notation and was very proficient in producing the tactile diagrams for each particular section of the manual. It took her some three to four months to complete the work, and was well worth the price I sent to the broup for cost of paper and her time.