[blind-chess] Answers to last week's end game problems

  • From: "R Dinger" <rrdinger@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "chess" <blind-chess@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 26 Apr 2010 07:31:53 -0700

Good Morning Puzzlers,

These problems are from Larry Evans' book "Chess: Beginner to Expert" available
on tape from your NLS library.  Note the book uses descriptive notation not
algebraic.

Below are the problems once again along with my comments.  If you have
additional comments or questions, post them here to our discussion list.  And
keep track of your score.

Problem 6:
8/
1p4kp/
2p3r1/
1bP1N2K/
1P2Pp1P/
5P2/
2RR4/
6r1

Points: 2
Black to mate in one.
My solution:
1... Rh6#

Principle:
This is a common mate with two Rooks pattern, the Rook at g1 restricts the
White King to the H-file and then the other Rook moves to the H-file for the
mate.  Note that if Black tries instead to move the Rook at g1 to g5 the White
Pawn at h4 captures the Rook.

Problem 7:
2b4k/
3q3p/
n2Q2p1/
2pP4/
2P1N3/
7P/
6BK/
8

Points: 2
White mates in one.
My solution:
1. Qf8#
Principle:
Black's King is simply trapped in the corneer and Black is unable to prevent
the mate at f8.

Problem 8:
r2q1rk1/
p5pp/
2pp2b1/
8/
3B1n2/
2P3Q1/
PP1N1P1P/
2KR2R1

Points: 2
Black to mate in one.
My solution:
1... Ne2#
Principle:
The White King is unable to move because of the Black Bishop at g6.  But White
is not in check, so Black moves his Knight to e2 for the mate.

Problem 9:
4r3/
p5pp/
2k5/
2pp1p2/
2n5/
2PK1PB1/
P1P3PP/
1R6

Points: 2
Black to mate in one.
My solution:
1... Re3#
Principle:
Black has a mate threat at e2 and White has not moved the Bishop to f2 in order
to prevent mate.  The White King is boxed in and the King is the only protector
of e3.

Problem 10:
6rk/
1bp2Q1p/
p2p4/
1p2p3/
5N1N/
1P1P3P/
1PP2p1K/
8

Points: 3
Black to mate in one.
My solution:
1... f1=N#
Principle:
When promoting a Pawn look at every promotion possibility not just a Queen!
Here once again the White King is boxed in and a Knight is just the thing for
Black.