[blind-chess] Answers to last week's end game problems

  • From: "R Dinger" <rrdinger@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "chess" <blind-chess@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 19 Apr 2010 08:20:42 -0700

Good Morning Puzzlers,

These problems are from Larry Evans' book "Chess: Beginner to Expert" available
on tape from your NLS library.  Note the book uses descriptive notation not
algebraic.

Below are the problems once again along with my comments.  If you have
additional comments or questions, post them here to our discussion list.

Problem 1:
4Q3/
3R3p/
2p1pr1k/
p7/
4q1P1/
5p2/
PPP4P/
1K6

Points: 2
White to mate in one move.
My solution:
1. Qh5#

Principle:
I notice that the Black King, while not in check is unable to move.  I also
notice that h5 is attacked twice (Pawn and Queen) and is not attacked by any
Black pieces, so the White Queen can move there for the mate.  Notice also that
if it was Black's move, Black could take the Pawn at g4 eliminating his current
problem.  So noticing opportunities early is critical.  Uwe points out that if
it is Black's move he can mate in two moves!

Problem 2:
6r1/
1R4bk/
2pR3p/
5p2/
4p3/
4B1P1/
2r1qPKP/
8

Points: 2
White to mate in one.
My solution:
1. Rxh6#

Principle:
First notice the Black Bishop at g7 is pinned even though he is protected by
the Black Rook.  Because the Bishop is pinned, his ability to protect the Pawn
at h6 is an illusion.

Always examine every check or capture as these moves often limit your opponents
reply.  Since the Pawn at h6 is protected only by the King and White attacks
that Pawn twice, White can capture it with the Rook at d6 resulting in mate.

Problem 3:
r1b2r2/
7p/
ppn1N1pk/
2p4q/
1bP1Pp2/
3P4/
PB4BP/
1R3RK1

Points: 2
White to mate in one.
My solution:
1. Bg7#

Principle:
Again, Black is boxed in and is unable to move.  He is blocked by his own
pieces and the only two open squares (g7 and g5) are attacked by the White
Knight.  So White can move his Bishop to g7 for the win.

Problem 4:
8/
p4pkp/
8/
3B1b2/
3b1ppP/
P1N1r1n1/
1PP3PR/
R4QK1

Points: 2
Black to mate in one.
My solution:
1... Re1#

Principle:
Notice the Black Bishop at d4, the Black Rook and White's King are all on a
common diagonal.  If the Black Rook moves away, White is in discovered check,
but if the Rook moves to e1 it also pins the Queen preventing her from blocking
the check at f2.  Also notice White's King is, as usual, boxed in and has no
flight squares.

Problem 5:
4r1k1/
pp3ppp/
8/
3P4/
3B1b2/
3q4/
PPN3Q1/
R5K1

Points: 2
White to mate in one.
My solution:
1. Qxg7#

Principle:
The Pawn at g7 is only protected by Black's King and is attacked twice.  Almost
all successful combinations are based on some form of double attack.