[blind-chess] Re: Another look at the Uwe-Alvin game

  • From: "dauidr@xxxxxxxx" <dauidr@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: blind-chess@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 11 May 2010 05:07:25 GMT

Hi, Rod.

I echo Rebecca's sentiments. Excellent article. As someone who determines what
openings I play in a tournament or friendly game based on whatever side of the
bed I wake up on,  I need to keep in mind the strengths and weaknesses of all
the first moves and responses. Of course,  I like expermenting with suppsedly
closed second move responses such as 2.Nc3 in response to 1...c5. It's always
enoyable seein g my opponents' responses to moves like 3.g4.

I have an example which I borrowed from one of Nakamura's lines which I payed
last fall up in Buffalo:
1.e4 c5 2.Nc3 d6 3.g4

The typically closed Sicilian becomes a scrum early on where black must be
careful where he places his minors.

Another flexible and often annoying response to a first move  is 1...f5 (Dutch
against d4) I've begun having fun disguising my intent in the opening by
playing this and   launching into a King's Indianish milieu.

David Rosenkoetter