[blind-chess] Re: Chess Arcticle #17: Opening Frequency

  • From: Roderick Macdonald <rmacd@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: blind-chess@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 10 May 2010 20:28:09 -1000 (HST)

Hi Shane,

I didn't write the article, just passed it on, but...

There are a number of online databases where you can get all manner of statistics - but you have to pay for it. One of the better-known is chessgames.com. In other words, the information is for sale.

On the other hand, there is a site called www.chessopeningsdatabase.com/ where you can get not only statistics, but the games to gith them. When you go to http://www.chessopeningsdatabase.com/ the first page lists all 20 moves white can make as his first mvoe. Beside each is the number of games in their database for each move, plus the number actually won with that move, plus the winning percentage. (Draws are not included) Choose any of the 20 moves and the next page says, "It's black's turn to move" and lists the mvoes available for black, with the same type of information. Choose one and it is white's turn to move again.

From white's second mvoe onward, there is also an option to download a PGN file of games with the moves up to that point.

There are over three million games in this database, but they are (I think) from correspondence / online games, not by top grandmasters. Still, the games are of good quality.

Because the games are not by top grandmasters, the statistics are to some extent questionable. I suspect this site sponsored "theme" tournaments where the first several moves were prescribed at the outset, and the players went from there. In this way they coudl get samples of almost anything.

Give it a try. I found the site very useful - and it is "legal" for correspondence players (provided ti si "legal" to look things up in books and such: this site does not make moves, just gives statistics based on games already played in its database.). If the rules of a particular tournament say no books, no databases, etc., then of course this isn't allowed to research mvoes.

Rod
========== The blind-chess mailing list View list information and change your settings: //www.freelists.org/list/blind-chess List archives: //www.freelists.org/archives/blind-chess =========