[bksvol-discuss] Re: **text Quality**

  • From: talmage@xxxxxxxxxx
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 29 Apr 2004 11:02:09 -0400

At 10:49 PM 4/28/2004, you wrote:

>This without doubt is my biggest issue with bookshare.  The "fair rating."
>In my experience, anything marked fair is usually almost unreadable.

I agree with the overall sentiment of what you are saying, but there are always exceptions to any rule.
Some books are still rated fair as a result of the bug that existed in the Bookshare rating system a while back;
Some books are rated fair because of numerous foreign language words, and a poor job by the person who edited the submission in not catching this and boosting the rating;
Some are rated fair because the headers and footers didn't scan well and weren't stripped out, but the text may deserve a good rating;
Some books may have instances of hand written letters inserted which may not seriously impact the overall readability of the book;
Some books may be accurate reflections of the written text, but by todays standards of spelling and grammar may get a fair rating;
and, some books may be so old and rare that you can't find them elsewhere, but you can only get a fair rating out of them.

Perhaps Bookshare should also have a poor rating for the really bad scans, but where the books may still have some redeeming qualities.

>To the people who say, "having the book is better then no book at all," I
>say, you are outright wrong!!"

I have to say, that 1 word "wrong", was probably the only reason I decided to respond to this message.
As the saying goes, "different strokes for different folks." I may like single malt scotch, while you may not, but this doesn't make you wrong. It's called a different opinion.
While I may not read books with a fair rating often, there have been occasions where I have because they may have been the only copy I could find available.
Personally, I hate braille, and wouldn't even consider reading anything longer than a label in that form; likewise, I no longer listen to tape books as I can kill a cassette player probably quicker then anyone you have ever met.
It also used to drive me crazy trying to coax a tape along that wasn't cooperating, or getting to tape 4, of a 6 tape set only to find it was useless.

Ultimately, I would like to see Bookshare start a program aimed at improving the quality of the collection. Maybe have a separate download section for the volunteers where the books rated fair could be rescanned to improve the quality.

In closing, I have to add, that after using a KRM model 400 for years, even some of the books rated fair on Bookshare are an improvement.

Dave