[bksvol-discuss] Re: synopses and reviews

  • From: "Jill O'Connell" <jillocon@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 5 Feb 2009 12:27:14 -0800

Monica, Will you please tell me where you found the information about the meta data base? Thank you. Jill ----- Original Message ----- From: "Monica Willyard" <rhyami@xxxxxxxxx>

To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Thursday, February 05, 2009 7:10 AM
Subject: [bksvol-discuss] Re: synopses and reviews

Tracy, the new Bookshare system does fill in a synopsis for you now. While
you're submitting or validating the book you can make changes. There is an
"edit book data" link on the form when you're uploading the book. You can
edit either or both of the synopses fields on the form if you don't like the
data it provides or if it gives you a description that doesn't match your
book. The system is getting data from a metadata service that stores book
data like the author, title, ISBN, book jacket description, and such. It's
an enormous database similar to what Amazon uses for their descriptions.

Sometimes, as in the case of an obscure biography I worked on, the publisher
didn't submit all of their data. Amazon doesn't even carry the book except
by special order, so I'm not complaining about Bookshare's database. I'm
just describing the process. The short synopsis provided totally missed the point of the book and had nothing to do with the description on the back of the book either. I edited that synopsis so it was closer in content to what was on the book jacket. It's not a perfect system, but I like it better than
just seeing the word "none" or "romance" as a book's synopsis.
Unfortunately, you'll see some books that look more like reviews because the database has the content from the back of a book or from its jacket. They do
tend to write things like "Mary Miller has written another heart-pounding,
nail-biting thriller with more plot twists and turns than the Indie 500."
That's often the kind of first line on the book jacket, so it's what the
database uses for the short synopsis. A growing number of volunteers had
been scanning book covers and using their description for the long synopsis
for books in the collection, minus the quotes from Publishers Weekly and
such of course. I guess the database just standardizes it, and the system
won't let you submit a book with no synopsis at all now.

Monica Willyard