[bksvol-discuss] synopses and reviews

  • From: Cindy Rosenthal <popularplace@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 5 Feb 2009 00:07:28 -0800 (PST)

I have a habit of looking up books on Amazon and/or B&N, especially books for
children through young adult levels, and also other titles sometimes to see
what genre they fall into, e.g., science fiction or fantasy. I read the
reviews, and sometimes they are in agreement, both professional review journals
and customer reviews, and sometimes they are not. I think perhaps that is why
the bookshare policy is that reviewers' comments, whether from the book jacket,
where of course they're going to be favorable--can you imagine a publisher
including an unfavorable review on is book jacket or inside the book--or from
another source are not to be included in the synopsis.

From the synopses of bookshare books that I've read, while some are excellent,
others are nothing more than reviews, and in the case of a children's book
added to the collection recently, it was the opposite of School Library
Journal's review.

I've reached the conclusion that some people do not know what a synopsis it.
Unfortunately, I think some of these people are not bookshare volunteers. For
any of you who don't know, a synopsis is a plot summary. If any of you see
synopses of books that need rewriting, I hope you'll take the time to do so and
send the rewrite to Carrie or Allison to use as a replacement.

I've read customers' reviews online that differ markedly from each other, which
is why I read the reviews before I decide to buy a book. There is a place on a
book's bookshare site for readers to write a review. The good thing about that
is that you can write what you think having read the book. Others can read your
review and after a while they'll know whether your tastes are the same or
different from theirs. I know some of us do write reviews and I hope others of
you will, too. It really doesn't take very long.