[bksvol-discuss] Re: submitted my first validation, hope it went through all right

  • From: "Monica Willyard" <rhyami@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 16 Aug 2008 20:18:30 -0400

Hi, Jamie. Isn't it fun to get a message showing that your book has
been accepted? (smile) Before a book is added to the collection, one
of the Bookshare staff looks at the file to make sure it is complete
and ready for the Bookshare collection.

I have a tip to share with you that might make things easier for you
in the future. You may not need it right now. It may help save you
time and hassle later. I have made two subfolders in the "my
documents" folder that most people who use Windows are familiar with.
The first subfolder is called "current validations," and it's where I
unzip files that I've gotten from step 1. I work on files in this
folder until they're ready to go. My second subfolder is called
"completed validations." Once I finish proofreading a book, I move it
to this subfolder. Then I upload the book to Bookshare. I keep my
completed validations until the book is actually approved for the
collection, just in case there's something that I missed that the
admin wants me to fix.

Using this system helps me to know without guessing about the status
of books I'm working on. I do something similar with the books I scan
and submit. I have a "not submitted" subfolder and one called
"Bookshare submissions" where I put the rtf files I've submitted to
Bookshare. This may not make much sense when you're on your first
book. It's different when you've scanned 150 books and can't remember
which ones you've submitted and which still need to be cleaned up for
submission. I learned this the hard way. (grin)

I hope this helps you. I'm glad you're helping us get books into the collection.

--
Monica Willyard