[bksvol-discuss] Re: slow web site

  • From: "Gerald Hovas" <geraldhovas@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 10 Feb 2005 19:52:06 -0600

It's good to see that I'm not the only one who thinks the site is slow when
accessing the Step 1 and 2 pages.

I've only been accessing these pages for the last month, but I've always
found them very slow no matter what time of day.  It's way too slow for even
1:00 AM CST.  Just for the record, my computer's not that fast for these
days, 500 MHz, but I am using a cable modem.

From what I've been able to tell, the delay appears to be on the Bookshare
end.  It's like the site is performing a query on all 20,000 plus books to
determine which books need validating or which books have been downloaded by
you before building the page and sending it out.  When the page finally
starts to arrive, it does so very quickly.

In three different accesses of the Step 1 page, it took 45, 105, and 45
seconds respectively to access the page.  All but the last 3 seconds or so
appeared to be on the Bookshare end.  Three accesses of the home page, each
without having Internet Explorer up and running, only took 6 seconds each.
Accessing other pages appears to take from 3 seconds to 12 seconds,
depending on whether or not the page is accessing the database and probably
depending on the activity on the site andinternet.  Typically, accessing
pages that query the database for books by a particular author takes 6 or 8
seconds.

Is anyone else getting any better performance accessing the site,
specifically the Step 1 and 2 pages?

Gerald