[bksvol-discuss] Re: scanning a book with numbered footnotes and asterisks page footnotes

  • From: "Judy s." <cherryjam@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 29 Dec 2015 16:49:26 -0600

Oh, I'm going to be all curmudgeon here, but I've done a couple of books where I had to try and find all the footnote numbers as a sighted proofreader and I won't do it again. It took way much more time than it would have taken to have adjusted the scanner and the OCR software to find them correctly during scanning. Personally, I don't want to encourage any scanner to generically expect a sighted proofreader to do that task. This sighted proofreader at least isn't going to do it ever again. grin.

Judy s.
Follow me on Twitter at QuackersNCheese <https://twitter.com/QuackersNCheese>
On 12/29/2015 4:34 PM, Cindy Rosenthal wrote:

Don;t worry about the footnote numbers not scanning properly. Simply point out, when you submit the book file that it needs to be proofed by a sighted volunteer who can obtain a copy of the book. It might be possible for one to get it from a library ( if I were lucky I might be able to get it from a university library where I don't have to worry about renewals)
P.S. -- Madeleine, I checked my notes --can we put the still footnote numbers in superscript? ( please say yes smile)

What is the title and author of teh book? Ill see if I can get it, but just put t up wioth the notes about needing a sighted proofer and I'll only take it if no one else does as I have several books 'm woring on now -- and be aware that I'm not teh fastest proofer i teh world. Lke some others I read word for word and am very careful but I also have some other activities that take time away from my proofing ( shopping is over but I sleep a lot and we watch tv in the evening and sometimes I go for lunch with friends My husband and I work at our respective computers into the wee hours of teh morning so we often nap in the afternoons
Cindy

On Tue, Dec 29, 2015 at 11:46 AM, Madeleine Linares <Madeleinel@xxxxxxxxxxxx <mailto:Madeleinel@xxxxxxxxxxxx>> wrote:

Hi Rik,

These annotations both sound fine. The proofreader should be
putting a space between the number and the word or punctuation
before for the numbered ones. For the asterisk ones the info at
the bottom of the page will need to be put in square brackets. If
you think it’s obvious where this information starts and ends at
the bottom of the page you can leave it for the proofreader to do.
If not, you might want to add in brackets yourself.

If the numbers are scanning incorrectly this does unfortunately
mean that you’ll have to double check the scan to make sure
they’ve scanned correctly. The proofreader won’t have any way of
knowing if the number is wrong or what the right number should be.

Adding “image removed” to the diagrams etc. is perfect, and rather
than putting the whole caption in brackets, you should precede the
caption with the word “caption” in square brackets. For example:
[Caption] A blue whale jumps up out of the ocean.

Thanks so much for your attention to detail and hard work!

Best,

Madeleine Linares

Volunteer Coordinator

Bookshare, a Benetech Initiative