[bksvol-discuss] Re: rtf format

  • From: socly@xxxxxxxxx
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 27 Oct 2004 19:13:50 -0500

I have a Mac, and that might make a difference,but I wouldn't think so. I used
to convert the rtf file to Word
(Microsoft Word) and when I finished converted back to rtf and everything,
including page breaks, looked
exactly the same. Now I just hit Save and it saves in rtf. I see no difference.

The font used to validate will make a difference. My scanner, and things I've
downloaded, seem to come
in courier new 10,which is very small, so I usually work in a different font,
and leave it in the font in which I
work. If you close up the lines as you go, and eliminate extra spaces, the page
breaks that Word puts in
should disappear when you put in hard page breaks where they belong. I've also
found that in books that
have a lot of dialog, one can't skip lines between paragraphs, as it seems
readers prefer, and have the
pages come out correctly, but they generally come out o.k. if one indents
paragraphs instead.

Occasionally I've had to convert to a smaller font after validating so the page
breaks would be correct. That
is, I work in the font that's comfortable for me and put in the hard page
breaks where they belong, and
when I've finished the book, I blacken the text (because I don't want what I
did with cover and title pages
and the pages leading up to the text changed) and convert back to courier new
10. Unfortunately, this
usually means I have to go back and scroll through the document to double check
that there aren't extra
pages breaks, but if the font is small enough, this probably isn't necessary.

As far as the page numbers go, if you can't find them, you should put them in.
They're probably either at
the top or the bottom of the page. I'm sure Ken will tell you. You should have
a line space between the
page number and the body of text, whether the number is at the top or the
bottom of the page.

I think you picked a difficult book to start with. You probably should have
picked something shorter or
easier and/or more fun -- though I found E's Elizabeth the Early Years, or
whatever it was called, so
interesting after providing her with a few missing pages that I ended up
reading the book myself before
returning it to the library.

When I started at bookshare, the first book I downloaded was a biography of
Aaron Copland, which I
though would be really interesting, but it was long and filled with technical
music analysis, criticism, etc.
--I enjoyed the biographical parts but not the musical analysis. And there were
numerous names, some
of which I knew but many of which I didn't. Stupid me -- I didn't think of
getting the book from the library to
check the names until I was almost finished with the book. I kept putting them
into google o check the
spelling. My validating took a lot longer than it had to.

From: "Lisa Leonardi" <lml5280@xxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [bksvol-discuss] rtf format
Date: Wed, 27 Oct 2004 14:56:01 -0500

> Hi,all.
>
> I was just wondering what you all think is the best word processor to use to
> validate books in RTF
format.  I've been using Microsoft Word but it always wants to convert it...
and when it does, it seems to
add a lot of page breaks where they are not needed.  Anyway, I'd appreciate
some info.