[bksvol-discuss] Re: quotation marks

  • From: "Judy s." <cherryjam@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 22 Nov 2012 14:04:08 -0600

Hi Cindy,

Unfortunately, there isn't a setting in Word that lets you autocorrect a document that's already made with the smart quotes in it to get rid of the existing smart quotes. Marty's technique works best. However, as Ali and others have mentioned, you don't have to worry about smart quotes any more in a document as Bookshare's conversion tool now correctly changes them to straight quotes. We used to have to get rid of smart quotes and I'll bet that's what you're remembering having to do, because I remember having to do it all the time too! smile.

Judy s.

On 11/22/2012 12:45 PM, Cindy Rosenthal wrote:
Thanks,Marty. I was looking more for something like in the Auto
Correct under Auto format that I  could click on that would
automatically change smart quotes to straight quotes so I wouldn't
have to find and replace; smile. In the tools menu you can click a
thing under  Auto format and auto correct and straight quotes will be
changed to  "smart" quotes, but  don't see anything that will allow me
to do the opposite.

Is it true that it doesn't matter if  curly quotes ("smart" quotes)
are retained and not changed? Why do I have the idea that they should
be; (oh--looking at my file--is it because sometimes smart quotes curl
the wrong way and so   have to be corrected each time, with straight
quotes  there's no such problem.