[bksvol-discuss] Re: quotation marks

  • From: "Martha Rafter" <mlhr@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 23 Nov 2012 20:18:33 -0500

Hi Cindy,
  Well I'll be dipped!  Thanks for this!

-----Original Message----- From: Cindy Rosenthal
Sent: Friday, November 23, 2012 7:06 PM
To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [bksvol-discuss] Re: quotation marks

to add to what Ann said ( or explain further); "smart" quotes are
curly ones;   (stop reading here if this is all you want to know,
smile)
I've pasted directly below   a definition and example from Wikipedia,
but I also, not being  able to resist because I found it interesting,
and have never known when to stop explanations, (drove my daughter
crazy but her friends appreciated it, as one told me years later)
pasted a more detailed explanation of  of quotation marks (I didn't
know the  curly ones were called English curved quotes).
a definition and example form Wkipedia: ‘—’ : English curved quotes,
also called “book quotes” or “curly quotes”, resemble small figures
six and nine raised above the baseline (like 6...9 and 66...99), . In
many typefaces, the shapes are the same as those of an inverted
(upside down) and normal comma.
Typewriter quotation marks

"Ambidextrous" quotation marks were introduced on typewriters to
reduce the number of keys on the keyboard, and were inherited by
computer keyboards and character sets. Some computer systems designed
in the past had character sets with proper opening and closing quotes.
However, the ASCII character set, which has been used on a wide
variety of computers since the 1960s, only contained straight single
quote (U+0027 ' apostrophe) and double quote (U+0022 " quotation
mark).

“—”

On Fri, Nov 23, 2012 at 2:46 PM, Ann Parsons <akp@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Hi all,

Smart quotes are not the same as British quotes.  The British use the
apostrophe for quotes unless using double-quotes. Don't think these are the
same as Smart Quotes.   We're now supposed to leave British Quotes as they
are.

Ann P.

--
Ann K. Parsons