[bksvol-discuss] Re: question re descriptions of photos in books

  • From: Scott Rains <scottr@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 24 May 2010 14:13:02 -0700

To piggyback on Cindy's question I call your attention to a book i have asked
the authors to provide for our Bookshare library:

New Book: Environmental Description for Visually and Dual Sensory Impaired
People

Environmental Description for Visually and Dual Sensory Impaired
People--Lahtinen, Riitta; Palmer, Russ; Lahtinen, Merja. A1 Management UK.
(2010) Environmental description enables sensory impaired people to perceive
spontaneous qualitative information in real time, through everyday life
experiences. This book presents different techniques to provide environmental
description of experiences ranging from life activities to artistic
interpretations.  It focuses on both the describer’s and receiver’s
perspectives and gives practical examples and exercises for professionals who
work with visually and dual sensory impaired people.  It includes ideas for
getting started, practical tips for various categories of  descriptions, and
examples that illustrate describing the environment in real-life situations for
different individuals.  The book is intended for a wide range of visually and
dual sensory impaired people of various ages, as well as their family members
and friends and provides a basic educational study book for professionals
wishing to supplement their knowledge of how to apply different techniques
including audio description for museums and art exhibitions.  Available from
the Ear Foundation in the UK (www.earfoundation.org.uk/shop).

Scott Rains
Bookshare Volunteer Coordinator, Interim