[bksvol-discuss] Re: question about the language of the bestseller initiative

  • From: "mickey" <micka@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 5 Nov 2007 11:11:30 -0500

Re: [bksvol-discuss] question about the language of the bestseller
initiativeHere I go again, taking the unpopular course.

This organization has staff and volunteers. As volunteers, our job is to add
books to the collection. We can, of course, make suggestions.

The staff of this organization goes way above and beyond what is needed to run
a volunteer corps. They tell us much more than is normal. It isn't our
responsibility to know what moneys go to what project, or what policy is, or
who does what job, unless it makes it easier to do our job. We're only
volunteers, and although we like it, the staff isn't really accountable to us.

This isn't meant as a flame. I've worked with and for  volunteer organizations
both as a staff member and as a volunteer, and although I don't always like the
way something is going, it isn't really my responsibility to worry about it.

Please accept this in the spirit it was intended. We volunteers are doing all
we can to make the organization better, but we aren't staff, and sometimes we
need to remember that.

Kudos to the staff and volunteers for doing a bang-up job for one of the best
organizations I've ever volunteered for.

Mickey Prahin
check out this exciting business opportunity and it's totally free!!!
http://www.mypowermall.com/biz/home/4941
e-mail micka@xxxxxxxxxx
Phone: 614-670-4011
Windows Live Messenger: micka@xxxxxxxxxx
Skype: micka529
Cell: 614-499-3505
  From: Scott Blanks <scottsjb@xxxxxxxxx>
  Date: Sun, 4 Nov 2007 13:11:51 -0800
  To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  Subject: [bksvol-discuss] question about the language of the bestseller
initiative

  Hi all,

  Recent discussion revolving around the Bookshare effort to quickly place
  current bestsellers into the collection has prompted me to write. If there
  is a specific mission statement or synopsis paragraph about this endeavor,
  I'd like to see it. In other words, I want to know exactly what the project
  is supposed to do. Has a certain amount of money been set aside to be put
  towards the purchase of bestsellers? If so, is this money to be spent on
  bestsellers regardless of book content. Or, is this more an informal effort,
  one where Bookshare is doing its best to incorporate the popular books of
  now into its collection as quickly as possible, and if some don't make it,
  it's not a big deal.

  Scott