[bksvol-discuss] Re: library books

  • From: Cindy <popularplace@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 1 Dec 2004 14:27:57 -0800 (PST)

I really doubt that the book falling apart was because
of your scanning. I got one book from the library
where  a whole section of pages was totally loose. The
book was rubber-banded. BY the time I finished
scanning, another section was loosened, but I've had
no other problem, even with older books and
paperbacks. I mentioned it to the librarian when I
checked out the book, but they didn't seem concerned
and gave it to me anyway. I mentioned it again when I
returned it, and I don't know if they sent it to
repair -- probably it wasn't worth it -- or just sent
it back to the branche whence it came.

I suggest if you get a book in bad shape again you
make a definite point of mentioning it to the
librarian and even, perhaps, ask her to make a note.
Then she won't be blaming you. (I hope I'm n ot being
sexist here when I'm assuming a female librarian
(smile). Unless the book is in bad shape to start,
scanning and pressing down the spine to the estent is
necessry won't damage the book. As I said, I've
scanned some loose-but-not-actuallyu damaged ones and
they were no worse for the process.

BTW, how did she know you were going to scan it? Is it
an assumption she made because you're blind? (Are you
blind? I know some people here are totally blind and
others have partial sight). I'd say that's a form of
discrimination.

Cindy

http://my.yahoo.com