[bksvol-discuss] Re: how do I

  • From: Ann Parsons <akp@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: tjhawk1@xxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 24 Mar 2008 21:12:49 -0400

Hi Tom,

Well, yes, in other words, the control has two parts to it, right and you have to tab to the second part of it, below or to the right of the edit box and press the spacebar to activate the button.

This is true, and it is all well and good, but I repeat. The control does not show up in SA at all! There's no edit box, no browse button no anything, nada. I don't know why.

Just because it is not hard to activate the control in WE doesn't mean that this problem is not worthy of solving. Even in WE the control is not voiced properly because it says edit twice, not edit and browse as it should. I do not understand why Jaws works with this control, and why it doesn't work properly in the other screen readers.

With Bookshare needing more volunteers and more students joining Bookshare, this web site really needs to be placed higher on the priority list, folks. Someone who is using SA exclusively cannot volunteer for Bookshare as it stands now. You can't upload files to Bookshare at all. There isn't even a work-around as there is in WE. It just doesn't show up, not at all.

While I'm on the subject of validating books for Bookshare, is there a way to get SA to announce page breaks? this is crucial when validating books because you have to check that first the book *has* page breaks, and then, you have to put blank lines between the page breaks and the page numbers.

Ann P.

--
Ann K. Parsons
Portal Tutoring