[bksvol-discuss] Re: footnotes?

  • From: Mike <mlsestak@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 02 May 2011 06:30:17 -0700

I agree, why would anyone put something as short as a bible reference at the end of the page. But since it is that way, we have to leave it that way. From what Scott or Carrie recently said, if the number is footnoted, leave it that way. Otherwise put brackets around it (or perhaps use superscript and brackets but no one liked that). I have never heard what should be done for the footnote at the bottom of the page. Some people put [Footnote text: then the symbol and whatever the text of the footnote is]. In your case that would make the notation that it is a footnote longer than the footnote. What I do is put a line of underscores between the page text and the footnote text. That's what I learned writing term papers so long ago I'd rather not think about it.

By the way, if it helps any, having the footnote at the end of the page, maybe in the middle of a paragraph, is just as annoying to sighted folks. However, that style is much older than putting them at the end of the page or book.

Misha

On 5/1/2011 11:33 PM, Charisma wrote:
I have a new footnote question for a new book.

This book has the footnote number after the text, of course, and then
the corresponding footnote at the bottom of that same page. Previous
books I've scanned have placed the footnotes either at the end of the
chapter or the end of the book.

So, up where it appears in the body of the text  I use brackets thusly:  [1]
But now how do I note it at the bottom of the page? Another set of
brackets with the same number repeated?

If it makes a difference, what is being footnoted are a Biblical
references. If it were up to me, I'd insert the references right where
they belong but I don't see where I can do that exactly in the manual.
I see we can decide where best to place sidebars or things like that,
but not footnotes.

Charisma