[bksvol-discuss] Re: finding books to proofread

  • From: "Bob" <rwiley@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 6 Apr 2009 14:15:39 -0500

Hi Nancy. You ask some good questions. I'll take a crack in answering them.

You said "What's a fake hold?" A fake hold is a hold for reader, or hold for
reader1... . We are assuming that the jiffy proofers don't read this list and
don't know about this. They will skip books with a hold on them, and those of
us who know about it can grab them and do a more thorough job of proof reading
them.

You said "I noticed there are books waiting for checkout that have been there a
long time.  With all this about no books to proofread, I don't understand.  Are
there special problems with these books?" I'm not sure of problems, but you can
look at a book's history by going to the information page for that book. Down
near the bottom, there is a link to "view book history". I have been checking a
book's history before checking it out. If the book seems to have page break
problems (a problem which I detest), I'll probably not grab it. If the book has
been grabbed by a jiffy proofer and Carrie has sent it back for more proofing,
then I'll probably grab it.

You said "Where is this infamous stripper?  Are there other site tools to help
me do a better job?" The "stripper" is a program that gets applied to a book
once it has been proofread. Unfortunately, we can't see the results until the
book gets into the collection. I don't know of any tools that bookshare
provides (except the volunteer manual) to help us do a better job.

Okay, hope this helps answer your questions. If not, ask away.

Bob

  I have a few questions based on reading these messages.

  What's a fake hold?

  I noticed there are books waiting for checkout that have been there a long
time.  With all this about no books to proofread, I don't understand.  Are
there special problems with these books?

  Where is this infamous stripper?  Are there other site tools to help me do a
better job?
  thanks,
  Nancy Martin
  Oklahoma