[bksvol-discuss] Re: finding books to proofread

  • From: "Monica Willyard" <rhyami@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 6 Apr 2009 23:37:54 -0400

Hi Nancy. Bob did a very nice job of answering your questions. I'd like to
add that some of the books that have been around awhile aren't defective.
They just haven't found an interested proofreader. I've found that
nonfiction books tend to be proofread more slowly, especially if they are
textbooks or books about things like ethics or advanced psychology. At other
times, books that have been around awhile are there because they have some
issues that a prior volunteer didn't know how to handle. Some of our
volunteers aren't on this list and don't know what to do if they run into
trouble with a book they're working on. They generally release it or let
their proofreading time run out on it.

I want to offer you a suggestion based on my experience with proofreading.
You don't have to follow it, and it's not a rule or anything. I urge new
volunteers to work on books that are rated excellent and that are submitted
by a person that can be contacted if there are any problems. This helps you
to learn the mechanics of the proofreading process and builds a foundation
of success for you to work from. The books that are listed as being rated as
good have some definite issues. You'll be able to handle those in time. For
now, you can learn proofreading well by starting with books where you can
focus on the process and get support from the submitter or from us as you
need it. It's like wearing training wheels until you learn how to control
your bike. Soon you'll know how things work, and you won't need training
wheels anymore. You'll know intuitively what a nice, clean rtf file looks
like, and any issues a book might have will seem more manageable.

We have many experienced submitters who are on this list and who submit
books that are easy for new volunteers to work on. If you see books
submitted by Amber Wallenstein, Jamie Yates, Natasha, Mayrie ReNae, Alyssa,
Laura Ann, Jim Pardee, Louise G, Jim Baugh, Lisa Jolie, Deborah Murray, or
Christina, you can be sure you're getting a book that has been prepared for
you to work on and that you can contact these people for help if needed. We
have many more wonderful submitters. These are people whose books I have
proofread, and I know their work styles well. They are all patient people,
and each has taught me something important I didn't know.

I'm looking forward to seeing your proofreads in the collection. I'm
cheering for you. (smile)

Monica Willyard

  _____