[bksvol-discuss] Re: cover and jacket-flap text

  • From: Cindy Rosenthal <grandcyn77@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 15 Dec 2015 19:42:37 -0800

I am so glad you asked this question. Before I answer,i.e., say what what
I do, let me ask if it's necessary to include them. I think I seem to
have the pages I"ve done and I'm going to have to rewrite them if they're
necessary or desirable.
I write them, identifying them by enclosing them in brackets e.g., (
[front cover: AUTHOR OF COLD GLORY
B. Kent Anderson, SILVER CROSS ( bok title in 20point bold) then I put in
brackets a description of a picture if there is one (in this case it's a
medieval silver cross) I then put a page break and put [front flap: and
write what's there; then another page break and [back flap 9 BTB --i forgot
--are these properly flaps? I called them flyleaf. I'll to change that. If
there's a back cover I put [back cover] after front cover ad before the
flaps
They give the reader an Aida of what the tbook is about -- synopses, as t
were. Then they can be used copied and pasted if have to, or want to, write
a synopsis.
If they're not necsary or desirable I hope someone lets me know before I
rewrite them
Maybe I'll do what Beverly does and finish proofing the book before I write
them --- and omit the cover description? Is the choice of cover solely the
publisher's or does the author have input and make the final decision. If
the latter I suppose we ought to describe it -- if not maybe it doesn't
mater and we can omit it.
Cindy

On Tue, Dec 15, 2015 at 11:39 AM, Beverly Cory <beverlycory@xxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

Who can tell me if there is a standard placement, format, and
page-numbering system for front and back cover text, and for text on
jacket-flaps? I’m finding a lot of variation in the different scans I’m
proofing.

For example, in the current scan, back-cover text has been placed at the
beginning, on a page right after front-cover text. The front-cover text, of
course, duplicates the title page. Assume there should be only one 20 point
bold title, and if that appears on the cover page, should the title page be
set to all 12 point? Or should the front cover not be included? What about
the back cover, which has excerpts from reviews (marketing)?

Beverly To unsubscribe from this list send a blank Email to
bksvol-discuss-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
put the word 'unsubscribe' by itself in the subject line. To get a list