[bksvol-discuss] Re: books out of order

  • From: Grandma Cindy <popularplace@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 25 Mar 2007 23:48:11 -0700 (PDT)

Maybe because they came across it and read it and
enjoyed it and decided to share? And found out after
they read it that there are others before it in the
series? Just a guess. smkle

Some books, even though they are part of a series, can
be read and enjoyed as separate stories/mysteries.
This is true of the Henning Mankell Kurt Wallender
series. After I read one an enjoyed it people
suggested I start the series from the beginning just
because of huis character development--finding out
more about him and his family. The books can be read
out of order with no problem. The same is true of the
Baynard Kendrick Maclain series. It isn't really
necessary to read them in order, except you get to
know how the main characters met each other.

I validated a Charlotte and Thomas Pitt detective
story out of order. That one referred to people and
events that had occurred earlier, so I had to go back
and read the series from the beginning--my curiosity
was piqued. However, in the last book I read in the
series (not the last one, just the last one I've read
so far) she footnoted references to people and events
in her earlier novels, explaining what/who and te book
they appeared in.

I just finished validating King Bongo by Thomas
Sanchez. It's not part of a series, but now I'm
anxious to read some of his other books. I think
they'd be good additions to the collection. This was
what I'd call a historical mystery novel, and I
suspect the others are, too.

Cindy