[bksvol-discuss] Re: [bksvol-discuss]writers who use big words

  • From: Cindy <popularplace@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 5 Jul 2009 18:23:13 -0700 (PDT)

verisimilitude. is a lovely word, and it sounds lovely, too. I remember in the
long-ago tv production of Cinderella (in the '50s; the godmother had  words she
especially liked because of their sound. I don't remember many of them, but I
think one was picklerelish

list available at sites below

Books Being Scanned List:

Date: Sunday, July 5, 2009, 8:39
        AM

        What gets to me is what some people consider a big
        word. Once, in an effort to be facetious, I made reference to my id and
        then I was accused of using a big word to impress. Id is a big word?
        Then, at least twice, in casual conversation I used the word recondite.
        Both times the person to whom I was talking reached without comment for
        a dictionary to look up the word. One of them then expressed surprise
        that I had used it in a way that I obviously knew what it
        meant.

                 "If you tremble with
        indignation at every injustice then you are a comrade of mine." Che
        Guevara

        The Militant: http://www.themilitant.com/txtindex.shtml Pathfinder
        Press: http://www.pathfinderpress.com
Granma
        International: http://granma.cu/ingles/index.html

        _

table with 2 columns and 6 rows
Subj:
[bksvol-discuss]
        Re: [bksvol-discuss]writers who use big words
Date:
7/5/2009
        10:03:32 AM Eastern Daylight Time
From:
akp@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Sent from the Internet

(Details)
table end

Hi all,

I love being able to
        look up the occasional word. Taylor Caldwell is one of those writers
who
        uses big words naturally, as if she figures her readers
will know
        what on earth she's talking about! I had to resort to the dictionary
for
        "efulgent" Anybody heard of efulgent? I also looked up "Lambent",
any
        takers on that one? I better retake the SAT's I could probably get a
        better score now after fourty years. <smiling>

Ann
        P.

--
AAnn K. Parsons
Portal Tutoring

"All that
        is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost."
        JRRT

To unsubscribe from this list send a blank Email
put the word 'unsubscribe'
        by itself in the subject line. To get a list of available commands, put
        the word 'help' by itself in the subject
        line..

An Excellent Credit
        Score is 750. See Yours in Just 2 Easy Steps!

(http://pr.atwola.com/promoclk/100126575x1222887319x1201497660/aol?redir=http://www.freecreditreport.com/pm/default.aspx?sc=668072&hmpgID=62&bcd=JulyExcfooterNO62)