[bksvol-discuss] Re: big help with word on or off list

  • From: Monica Willyard <rhyami@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 24 Feb 2008 22:22:26 -0500

Hi, Lissi and Meka. I can help you with two of your issues. The word replacement issue you're talking about is that you're in overwrite mode instead of insert mode. When you have Word open, press your insert key on the six pack of keys that is located to the left of the number pad of your keyboard. The insert key is the top left key, right above the delete key. This key may be in a different place if you're using a laptop or nonstandard keyboard. At any rate, pressing that key acts as a toggle between insert mode and overwrite mode. So once you're back in insert mode, you can fix your typos normally again. Also, if you want to make sure Word isn't defaulting to overtype mode, press alt t for tools and o for options. Use control tab to get to the edit tab of the settings in there. Tab through the settings until you hear Jaws say "overtype mode." Make sure that box is not checked. Then tab over to the ok button and press enter.

The other issue I can help you with is the nonbreaking characters issue. While in Word, press insert v, using the insert key on your number pad, also known as the Jaws key. That will bring up the verbosity dialog. Use your down arrow until you hear Jaws say "reading options" You'll have to arrow down several times to get to this setting. Now, when you hear "reading options" press your right arrow to open those settings. Then use your down arrow to move down until you hear Jaws talking about "nonbreaking symbols." Press the space bar to cycle through those settings. You can turn the speaking of nonbreaking symbols off completely or change how they read. Once you find a setting you like, press tab twice to get to the close button and press the enter key. See if that helps.

I hope this makes your validating work a little easier. Thanks for all you do for us, Lissi and Meka.

Monica Willyard