[bksvol-discuss] Re: This is terrible!

  • From: Roger Loran Bailey <rogerbailey81@xxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 26 Oct 2013 19:53:51 -0400

#
I don't think it was the proofer who removed the paragraph breaks. They don't appear to be there and I did not even think to check before uploading it. The problem seems to apply to a couple of other rather long books that I spent a lot of time on too. I do still have the original scan as I had preproofed it and if you want to have a go at it I will upload it again with a hold for you. One thing I do not want to do is to rescan the whole thing. The way I do it means that I would be rereading the whole entire thing over again right after I read it in the first place and I would be reading it meticulously too. It was not even the kind of book I prefer. It was just one that I came by and the Bookshare collection did not have it. I have been toying with various ideas like sending the physical copy to Bookshare as a donation or offering it to another volunteer to scan or just forgetting about the whole thing and moving on. If you want to give it a try, though, I will go ahead and put it back up there soon. The title is The Ivory Dagger by Patricia Wentworth. It is a cozy mystery.

On 10/26/2013 2:40 AM, Cindy Rosenthal wrote:
Roger. DO NOT GIVE UP. t
The proofer, should have caught the missing paragraph breaks and put them in for you I surmise it wasn't one of us who actually read the text); or maybe the person did a global replace of paragraph breaks at the ends of sentences wasn't careful enough and highlighted the whole paragraph, thus eliminating the breaks at the end of the paragraphs. If you put the book on the checkout list with a hold for me, I'll proof it again unless the original proofer wants to do it; he she will get the same notice you did Let me know what's going to happen. Be aware, though, that it will take me a while to get to it. I have 4 - 5 books to do first
Cindy

On Fri, Oct 25, 2013 at 5:33 PM, Roger Loran Bailey <rogerbailey81@xxxxxxx <mailto:rogerbailey81@xxxxxxx>> wrote:

    #
    This is the kind of problem that makes me feel a bit sick and
    tempts me to stop volunteering. I am very careful with my
    submissions. I scan them two pages at a time and if the margins
    are too tight I will scan them one page at a time. Before I go on
    to the next two pages I read over the pages I have just scanned
    correcting any scannos or other problems I come across and then I
    run a spell check on the same two pages. I do leave a lot to the
    proofreader because I do not have the proper software to do some
    of the proofreading chores, but I am fairly confident that when
    the proofreader gets my submission it will be a pretty easy
    proofing job. This means that I put a lot of work into my
    submissions and I am rather slow to get them to the checkout list.
    Well, I just got a notification that one of my submissions with
    well over 300 carefully scanned pages cannot be added to the
    collection because so many paragraph breaks are missing,
    especially in dialog and that it must be rescanned. That was one
    thing that I did not notice and did not check before submitting. I
    just looked at my copies of other scans and I have a 396 page
    submission currently being proofread and another 400 page book
    that I am close to finishing that may have the same problem. I am
    not certain at all that I have the will to start all over on these
    books. I am using Open Book 9 on a Windows 7 computer and I do not
    have Word except for Word starter. Does anyone know if there is a
    good way to fix this problem short of starting all over and does
    anyone know how to prevent it in the future. Honestly, putting all
    that work in only to be told that it has to be done all over again
    kind of makes a person want to just give up.
    <mailto:bksvol-discuss-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
    put the word 'unsubscribe' by itself in the subject line.  To get
    a list of available commands, put the word 'help' by itself in the
    subject line.