[bksvol-discuss] This is terrible!

  • From: Roger Loran Bailey <rogerbailey81@xxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 25 Oct 2013 20:33:43 -0400

#
This is the kind of problem that makes me feel a bit sick and tempts me to stop volunteering. I am very careful with my submissions. I scan them two pages at a time and if the margins are too tight I will scan them one page at a time. Before I go on to the next two pages I read over the pages I have just scanned correcting any scannos or other problems I come across and then I run a spell check on the same two pages. I do leave a lot to the proofreader because I do not have the proper software to do some of the proofreading chores, but I am fairly confident that when the proofreader gets my submission it will be a pretty easy proofing job. This means that I put a lot of work into my submissions and I am rather slow to get them to the checkout list. Well, I just got a notification that one of my submissions with well over 300 carefully scanned pages cannot be added to the collection because so many paragraph breaks are missing, especially in dialog and that it must be rescanned. That was one thing that I did not notice and did not check before submitting. I just looked at my copies of other scans and I have a 396 page submission currently being proofread and another 400 page book that I am close to finishing that may have the same problem. I am not certain at all that I have the will to start all over on these books. I am using Open Book 9 on a Windows 7 computer and I do not have Word except for Word starter. Does anyone know if there is a good way to fix this problem short of starting all over and does anyone know how to prevent it in the future. Honestly, putting all that work in only to be told that it has to be done all over again kind of makes a person want to just give up.