[bksvol-discuss] Re: Question for Braille Readers

  • From: "EVAN REESE" <mentat3@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 24 Mar 2008 20:58:27 -0400

It is a compromise, at least to a small extent because if you substitute a double dash for the em dash, that substitution not only carries over to the braille version, but to the Daisy version and the html version as well. When NLS does it, they aren't putting out anything but a braille version.

There's no perfect solution to this em dash problem. Well, there is one perfect solution, but it would require Duxbury to be able to substitute a character with one ASCII value with two characters with another ASCII value. Apparently, the people who run the company have not yet been able to assemble the vast technical resources necessary to handle this thorny problem. Hahaha!

Maybe the latest version of Duxbury, which Bookshare still is not using - unless they've upgraded to it in the last few weeks - will change the em dash in the original to the double dash in the braille version as it should. Until they do fix it, I can see why people would want to make the substitution themselves.

I keep going back and forth on this issue: I do understand the importance of keeping as close to the original book as possible; while on the other hand, I also strongly empathize with the reasons which have been given here by myself and others for changing the em dash to double dashes.

Evan

----- Original Message ----- From: "Cindy Ray" <cindyray@xxxxxxxxx>