[bksvol-discuss] Page Number Frustrations

  • From: Nolan Crabb <aa3go@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 14 Jun 2004 18:17:43 -0700

I've learned so much from members of this list about how to be a scannist extraordinaire as I suspect most of you already are. Someone earlier provided a wonderful hint on setting up MS Word's pages so that it didn't insert its own evil page breaks in books. As a result of that, the next two books I'm submitting are absolutely wonderfully paginated. Even I'm proud of them, and I can usually find a reason to complain about my work, be it ever so small and insignificant. <smile> So you know it has to be pretty ok. That said, here's my question:

Let's assume I'm scanning happily along, putting page breaks right where they belong, stripping the headers, ensuring that my little page numbers are all in there and all nice and sequential. You're with me so far, right? I mean, it's looking beautiful; everything in order!

Then, suddenly, the blank page monster rears its ugly head from within the glass of my scanner. Where there was sequential order solid enough to relieve the most obsessive compulsive among us, suddenly there is chaos...disruption..disorder! So now what?

Do I insert page numbers in brackets on those blank pages and drop in page breaks? Do I insert page numbers and actually type a little sentence that says

this page is blank

I've been a bit off the wall here I suppose, but the question is an appropriate one. I've been manually typing in a page number and even going so far as to type [this page is blank] before inserting the new page break for the next legitimate page.

So many of you have done so much to help me evolve my scans into things that very nearly approach works of art, so I'm hoping you can rescue me this one more time. When some of us were kids, we remember Smoky Bear reminding us somberly that "only you can prevent forest fires." Well, to paraphrase old Smoky, only you can rescue me from the clutches of the blank page monster.

All kidding aside, what exactly is the standard? I feel a little funny about manually typing in page numbers that aren't technically part of the author's original work and design. And I feel a little queasy about typing in brackets [this page is blank] or something. Brings back those memories of RFB&D narrators telling me that "page 113 is blank" and all that.

So if there's a standard, please let me know what it is that I might more thoroughly adhere to it and thus vanquish the ugly blank page monster henceforth and forever.

Best Regards,

Nolan

MSN Messenger:  Nolancrabb
Yahoo Messenger:  nolancrabb@xxxxxxxxx

"The best portion of a good man's life is the little, nameless, unremembered acts of kindness and love."--William Wordsworth