[bksvol-discuss] Re: Page Number Frustrations

  • From: The Pardees <fpardee@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 15 Jun 2004 08:13:17 -0400

Nolan,
leave them in with no comment or number , so as to preserve the page
numbering sequence.  I even erase and leave blank the ones that have
undecipherable gibberish , which might be anything from a picture of a
moose to "part fifteen The Girl with the iron bra"

I can give no advice on text books  since I have always avoided them
whenever possible. .

 Your scans must indeed be beautiful, especially since you beat me out with
'A Body To Die For '

Jim

At 06:17 PM 6/14/04 -0700, you wrote:

>I've learned so much from members of this list about how to be a scannist
>extraordinaire as I suspect most of you already are.  Someone earlier
>provided a wonderful hint on setting up MS Word's pages so that it didn't
>insert its own evil page breaks in books.  As a result of that, the next
>two books I'm submitting are absolutely wonderfully paginated.  Even I'm
>proud of them, and I can usually find a reason to complain about my work,
>be it ever so small and insignificant.  <smile>  So you know it has to be
>pretty ok.  That said, here's my question:
>
>Let's assume I'm scanning happily along, putting page breaks right where
>they belong, stripping the headers, ensuring that my little page numbers
>are all in there and all nice and sequential.  You're with me so far,
>right?  I mean, it's looking beautiful; everything in order!
>
>Then, suddenly, the blank page monster rears its ugly head from within the
>glass of my scanner.  Where there was sequential order solid enough to
>relieve the most obsessive compulsive among us, suddenly there is
>chaos...disruption..disorder!  So now what?
>
>Do I insert page numbers in brackets on those blank pages and drop in page
>breaks?  Do I insert page numbers and actually type a little sentence that
>says
>
>this page is blank
>
>I've been a bit off the wall here I suppose, but the question is an
>appropriate one.  I've been manually typing in a page number and even going
>so far as to type [this page is blank] before inserting the new page break
>for the next legitimate page.
>
>So many of you have done so much to help me evolve my scans into things
>that very nearly approach works of art, so I'm hoping you can rescue me
>this one more time.  When some of us were kids, we remember Smoky Bear
>reminding us somberly that "only you can prevent forest fires."  Well, to
>paraphrase old Smoky, only you can rescue me from the clutches of the blank
>page monster.
>
>All kidding aside, what exactly is the standard?  I feel a little funny
>about manually typing in page numbers that aren't technically part of the
>author's original work and design.  And I feel a little queasy about typing
>in brackets [this page is blank] or something.  Brings back those memories
>of RFB&D narrators telling me that "page 113 is blank" and all that.
>
>So if there's a standard, please let me know what it is that I might more
>thoroughly adhere to it and thus vanquish the ugly blank page monster
>henceforth and forever.
>
>Best Regards,
>

>Nolan
>
>MSN Messenger:  Nolancrabb
>Yahoo Messenger:  nolancrabb@xxxxxxxxx
>
>"The best portion of a good man's life is the little, nameless,
>unremembered acts of kindness and love."--William Wordsworth
>

>---
>Incoming mail is certified Virus Free.

---