[bksvol-discuss] Question about converting ARK files to RTF

  • From: "Lisa B." <hunter123@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 14 Jun 2004 19:47:45 -0400

Hi, all.  I'm going to try and make this post as short as possible.  <grins>

I've just started validating my third book.  This time, I chose to download
an Arkenstone file.  I figured I'd unzip it in OpenBook, save it as an RTF
document and edit it in WordPad, mostly because the speech in OpenBook
drives me crazy.  <smiles>

Everything went fine with the unzipping, but after I saved the document in
RTF and opened it up in WordPad, I noticed several things which were not
present in the original Arkenstone file.  There appear to be some formatting
markers, things like paragraph indication and page indications, things like
\page \fs18;  \rquote, These seem to be present on every page to indicate
paragraph, page, or a word in quotation marks, but without the actual
paragraph breaks, page breaks or quotes.  It reminds me a little of HTML.

 I know I was prompted when I saved the file to RTF from within Openbook,
but I didn't think saving in RTF would make these things visible.  I've
scanned things in Openbook and converted them to Text and I've never noticed
this before.

Here is what I mean.  This was selected and pasted into this Email from the
first part of the table of contents.

Acknowledgments\par \par 1. Normal Western Science and Reality Scientific
views of

quantum physicists\par \par Are we all in a \rquote trance\rquote ? Defence

reactions to evidence\par \par 2. The Near Death Experience (NDE) The five
stages

of a complete NDE Important experiences of NDEers\par \par A postscript\par
\

This is present throughout the entire book... I just paged down a few times
in WordPad and the whole file is like this.  I'm wondering if this is
typical of what happens when an Ark file is converted to RTF or is this
something that happened without the submitter's being aware of it? It looks
like this book has been in the validation list for a while, so I'd like to
do as much as I can, but honestly, I don't want to have to go through the
whole 300 page thing and guess where paragraphs begin and end just on the
basis of some of these mark-ups.  Should I go ahead and reject this book?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

"If a dog will not come to you after he has looked you in the face,
you should go home and examine your conscience."
- Woodrow Wilson (1856-1924)
28th president of the U.S.

Lisa, A Bud/Mary Cross
& Hunter, A Lab/Golden Cross