[bksvol-discuss] Re: Ot: balancing act

  • From: "Roger Loran Bailey" <rogerbailey81@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 9 Feb 2010 11:19:21 -0500

The problem with that is that those proposed abbreviations are not standard and widespread. It is generally known across the Internet that O T means off topic and when a new person subscribes he or she knows automatically what that means when it is in the subject line. To invent another set of abbreviations for this specific group would mean having to educate every new subscriber and, because it is common for new subscribers to lurk for some time to get the feel of the group, it would mean only confusion for a lot of them because the rest of us would not necessarily know they are there. Also, it is likely to cause some confusion for those who are otherwise in the know because it means having to learn a whole new set of abbreviations that will be used only on a single list and are not portable to other lists. I suspect that you would find cooperation with your proposed practice spotty at best and that, in itself, is likely to cause further confusion.

_     _      _

"I believe in recognizing every human being as a human being, neither white,
black, brown nor red. When you are dealing with humanity as one family,
there's no question of integration or intermarriage. It's just one human
being marrying another human being, or one human being living around and
with another human being.... The worst form of a human being, I believe, is
one who judges another human being by the color of his skin."
Malcolm X

The Militant:
http://www.themilitant.com
Pathfinder Press: