[bksvol-discuss] Re: Ot: balancing act

  • From: "Roger Loran Bailey" <rogerbailey81@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 9 Feb 2010 13:30:21 -0500

I am aware of the blind chat list. If I remember correctly you can subscribe by sending a blank email to blind-chit-chat-subscribe@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx Another one that comes to mind that has mostly blind people on it can be subscribed to by sending a blank email to saywhatyoufeel-subscribe@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx Since I was speaking of commonality, though, let me say that it seems to me that if the only thing you have in common is blindness then you do not have much in common. At least, it sure does seem to me that I don't have a lot in common with most blind people.

_     _      _

"I believe in recognizing every human being as a human being, neither white,
black, brown nor red. When you are dealing with humanity as one family,
there's no question of integration or intermarriage. It's just one human
being marrying another human being, or one human being living around and
with another human being.... The worst form of a human being, I believe, is
one who judges another human being by the color of his skin."
Malcolm X

The Militant:
http://www.themilitant.com
Pathfinder Press:
http://www.pathfinderpress.com
Granma International:
 http://www.granma.cu/ingles/index.html
----- Original Message ----- From: "Chela Robles" <cdrobles693@xxxxxxxxx>
Well you do know that there is a blind chat mailing list for all sorts of chatter right? I will get this information for you.
"To me, music that breaks your heart is the music that stays with you forever," "It's one thing to be melancholy and one thing to be sophisticated, but when you get the two of them together in a way people can relate to, then I think you're on to something You want the sophistication to lie in the purity of the sound, the beauty of the arrangements, and the quality of the performances."-Trumpeter Chris Botti---- --------------------
Chela Robles
Now let me add to this chattiness by agreeing. As for myself, I really would prefer that off-topic discussions be held elsewhere. I have not flatly said that before because it makes me into a bit of a hypocrit. I have frequently replied to off-topic messages and I am doing so right now. If I read something to which I have a reply I tend to just reply. As a strongly opinionated person, it can be rather difficult to refrain. On occasion I have started an off-topic thread too. I think the latest one was about how I wanted to kick a meteorologist. One reason I do this is because of a everyone-else-is-doing-it-so-I-may-as-well-do-it-too feeling. However, there are plenty of lists for social interaction and there are others for conducting business. It seems to me that this list has plenty of business to conduct without a lot of socializing which can be done elsewhere. Sometimes the flood of messages about birthdays or what we had for dinner or whatever personal things we have to deal with are like dealing with spam. And yes, they have to be dealt with. Whether they are dealt with by just deleting them or by reading them or even by replying to them they must be dealt with somehow and oftentimes it is very much like sorting through spam. Let me suggest a specific kind of off-topic message that might cut down on off-topic list traffic in the long run. Those of you who are interested in email lists for social interaction are likely to be aware of lists that are in existence for that specific purpose. Let me suggest that you announce them here and invite others to subscribe to them. If, indeed, you are not aware of them then that is a good way to become aware of them. It is also likely that you will enjoy such lists a lot more anyway because they are often created with some commonality in mind. I, for example, do not really feel like I have a lot in common with most of you except for disability and a strong interest in books. Even having a strong interest in books is not a lot in common because books can cover so many topics. That is one of the ways I conclude that I don't have a lot in common with most of you. Some of the books that you get extremely enthusiastic about strike me as of no consequence and books I really enjoyed reading while I was scanning them languish on the checkout list without proofreaders. The Bookshare general discussion list is one place for some amount of socializing, but I think most of the subscribers to that list are a bit too diverse too. That is, almost any topic that develops into an extended conversation will draw cries of "off topic -- stop it." Whatever the case, though, keep in mind that there are lists for socializing and there are lists for discussing business. And yes, I fully expect that the next time I go off topic it is likely that I will be beaten over the head with my words in this message.

----- Original Message ----- From: "Mayrie ReNae" <mayrierenae@xxxxxxxxx>