[bksvol-discuss] Re: OT-Sort of Benetech in Guatamala

  • From: "Jackie McBride" <abletec@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 30 May 2008 15:06:24 -0700

Sue:

Let me see if perhaps I can't clarify the situation a bit,
particularly since you're not able to watch the video.

Unfortunately, the cuntry of Guatamala has had a history of severe
political repression of those who didn't agree with the prevailing
government. Many of them have "disappeared", e.g., were arrested,
often killed, & their loved ones have no idea whether they're alive,
in prison, dead, or what. Evidently documentation has been found
regarding the fate of many of these people, & Benetech is helping to
distribute it in an attempt to help family members determine once &
for all what's happened to their loved ones. I hope this helps
clarify. Obviously this is an unpleasant reality but for those who
have waited, sometimes for many years, to find out the fate of family
members, this could, at best, be cause for hope of unification, or, at
worst, at least bring about some sort of closure.

--
Jackie McBride
& Check out my homepage at: