[bksvol-discuss] Re: OT-Sort of Benetech in Guatamala

  • From: "Amy Goldring Tajalli" <agoldringtajalli@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 31 May 2008 04:47:09 +0000

It is more than just distributing the information but saving it as it had been kept in a building with mildew, rats, all sorts of unpleasant things that were set on destroying the information. Not to mention the people who did not want the papers found and want to set fire to all of it. Not only will people now learn what happened  to these people, but there is a question of Human Rights and Justice for them.People should be held responsible for what was done so it won't happen again. Whether the Guatemalan people put the  former government  officials on trial or have the Hague handle those cases involved with genocide of the native population or whatever is up to the Guatemalans. But they need the facts with which to make and informed decision and prosecutors need the evidence and Benetech is making possible with scanners and computer programs and with the help they have garnered by way of donations and other groups and their experts to do all of this.For thos e who can, please go to the Frontline Site and read and listen if you cannot watch the program and the additional information. They did a much better job than any summation here can do though Donna added much information which I could not at the time.

Amy

-------------- Original message from "Donna Smith" <donnafsmith59@xxxxxxxxx>: --------------