[bksvol-discuss] Re: OT-Sort of Benetech in Guatamala

  • From: "Amy Goldring Tajalli" <agoldringtajalli@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 02 Jun 2008 02:34:09 +0000

Evan,

Thanks - will do it asap but cannot do  it now.  If & when I find the information I will pass it on. It should not be too  long.

Amy

-------------- Original message from "Estelnalissi" <airadil@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>: --------------

Hi, Amy, thanks for sending along the link to that wonderful story.

Lissi and I watched it together and both found it to be an extremely moving portrayal of a struggle to find out both what happened during a violent period in the history of that country and to gain the information necessary to obtain hopefully some justice for the many crimes that were committed.

There is a transcript of an interview with Jim on the site as well, giving a bit of history of Benetech and specifically how he came to start this particular project.

As for the project on land mines: I don't have a whole lot more detail in my head at the moment, but Lissi says that she recalls that during the time when Jim received the MacArthur Genius Award, it was reported that he developed the most sophisticated equipment to date for detecting land mines. I imagine you could get more details at the Benetech site or by just Googling Fruchterman and MacArthur Award, or something like that.

Evan