[bksvol-discuss] Re: OT: Sesame Street & Monica

  • From: "Evan Reese" <mentat1@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 22 Nov 2007 00:50:43 -0800

I didn't hear on the news story that they were pressured into putting in the disclaimer, although they may have been covering themselves to prevent such objections from arising. Rather, I got the impression that the people who are responsible for the show believe that if some of the situations and actions that were in the show at its beginnings were in it now, there would be strong protests; hence, the warning. Things that were considered harmless or at least acceptable in one generation change over time. Just look at the whole issue of the portrayal of smoking in movies and cartoons over the past few decades. Hannah Barbera said some time ago that it will cut smoking scenes out of its old cartoons. With Sesame Street, apparently, one problem the people doing the show now have with those early shows is that the view is that kids imitate what they see, so you can't have Cookie Monster setting a bad example for youngsters of how to eat.

Evan