[bksvol-discuss] Re: OT: Parenting

  • From: Monica Willyard <rhyami@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 29 Apr 2007 14:41:00 -0400

Hi, Julie. I think most women are pretty scared and nervous during their first pregnancy, even when the baby is wanted very much. Before my daughter was born, my mom bought me a doll that was the size of a newborn. I used it to practice changing diapers and practiced dressing it in clothes I'd actually use for my daughter. I'm a little embarassed to admit that publicly, but it might help someone to try doing that. I had fed and held babies before, but I hadn't ever tried doing diapering or dressing a child that young. My mom's thoughtful support before the birth made caring for my daughter so much easier. I was still scared, especially when I came home and realized that it was just me and this tiny baby depending on me to know what to do. I found out later that most parents feel that way, blind or not. You will be a good mom, Julie, and Leno will be a loving dad. I have no doubts about that at all. Once you're settled in a good church, that community will give you some added support as well. It's likely that some of the older women will take you under their wing, and you can ask them for feedback on your baby's appearance or about how to do little things like fasten a car seat or high chair. (smile) You and Leno will be in my prayers.

"Don't let yesterday use up too much of today!" Will Rogers
Monica Willyard, rhyami@xxxxxxxxx
Add rhyami to your Skype if you'd like to chat.