[bksvol-discuss] Re: Missing story titles

  • From: "Donna Smith" <donnafsmith59@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 2 May 2008 06:30:02 -0400

Hi Bob.

Unless we get some other kind of official answer which contradicts me,
I believe you can fix the story titles and then resubmit the book with
BSO in front of the title to indicate that it is an improved copy to
replace one already in the collection.  You might then want to put a
note in the comments field for the validator that tells what you've
done.

Story titles and chapter headings are often difficult pieces to get to
scan correctly because they are often in a different font, a different
color, or as in this last book I've worked on, written vertically down
the margin of the page - all of which I'm sure is visually intriguing
but which does not amuse most OCR software!  For those of us who have
been scanning since the stone age of OCR, missing titles was just one
of the sacrifices we were willing to make in order to have access to
the over-all text.  However, now that both OCR and our attention to
detail has improved, it is no longer a sacrifice any of us should have
to make.  That's especially true in the type of book you're trying to
read as knowing when you've changed short stories is quite important.
It's one of the things I rely on my live-in sighted volunteer to help
me correct before I submit books these days.

So there's my opinion of your question as well as a little OCR
history.  <smile>  Hope this helps and that you can help us get a
better quality book back in the collection.

Donna