[bksvol-discuss] Re: List of all scanned but not yet validated books?

  • From: talmage@xxxxxxxxxx
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 03 Oct 2004 08:44:50 -0400

Hi Tom,

I like your idea, except that it would make the Step 1 page enormous, and take forever to get through it.
If Bookshare set it up so that the download link itself was on the book title, and there weren't any links associated with the books that were awaiting something, I would be willing to put up with the large size of the page. Right now what I do when I move through the list with JFW, I tab to the next download link and then hit a down arrow to hear the next book title. There may be an easier way to move through the list, but I'm a creature of habit.
It also seems that in the past few months there was a change to the Step 1 page, in that when a book is submitted, it doesn't necessarily go to the bottom of the list. I could be wrong about this, but it seems that when I've submitted books lately, they have appeared in the middle of the list surrounded by books that have been there awhile. This forces anyone who wishes to find if any new books have been submitted to move through the whole list. Perhaps this is intended so that we, the validators, will take pity on some of those submissions that have been there a long time.
Another way Bookshare could handle a list for books that are in limbo, is to have a link to a status page, and setup the system to do a dump to that page rewriting it at some pre selected time, i.e. 0:01 hours daily.

Dave

At 11:34 PM 10/2/2004, you wrote:

Presently, the entire Step 1 list is titled Books Awaiting Download, but that should just be one possible status. A better title for that list might be Books in Process, and the status field could contain awaiting validation, awaiting approval, rejected or approved. Of course, approved books should fall off of the list entirely after not very long.

If the Step 1 list included all that information, there would be no need for Jesse's list.

Tom