[bksvol-discuss] Kurzweil crashing was Re: Re: page breaks in text files

  • From: "Sarah Van Oosterwijck" <curiousentity@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 17 May 2004 11:37:07 -0500

No window-eyes because I was afraid two screen readers would really have
problems installed together on a computer running xp.  I should really
uninstall jaws and put a window-eyes demmo on instead to see if it has the
same problem with my onboard video.

I use eloquence with jaws and IBM Via voice with Kurzweil.  as I said, I
know they aren't supposed to get along, but they're both necessary.
I haven't noticed any trouble at all with the amount of RAM I have, either
things run smoothely or they don't run at all, and I'm
not about to get more RAM now.  A new motherboard or a fix for the jaws
problem are
needed before I even consider any spending for xp.  What on Earth do you do
with your computer to need so much RAM? :-)  I don't approve of concatenated
human speech synthesizers, so I don't care how much better it would work
with more RAM.  Real speech fragments are for sighted people who can't get
used to computer speech, and who don't care about speed.  They just don't
read smoothely and naturally like
a person, so I'd rather have a synth that reads smoothely, accurately, and
totally
unnaturally. <g>  Via Voice meets those criteria.

Sarah Van Oosterwijck
curious entity at earthlink dot net