[bksvol-discuss] Re: Is this is?

  • From: Cindy <popularplace@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 11 Mar 2005 20:11:46 -0800 (PST)

Sue, I think he made a mistake. I, too, did some
research. The Las Vegas Gladiators seems to have Te
Salutimus Morituri! as its motto, and someone names
starmoth (do you think it's a pseudonym of Prat's) has
published a list of 13 books about death, Favorite
Books about Death, and he uses Prat's phrase,
morituri te salutimus . But what you found is closest.
What I found was "Morituri te salutant," "we who are
about to die salute you" used by gladiators to salute
the Emperor. So not only did Prat give us the wrong
spelling of morituri (he reckoned with google -- he,
he,he--), but his, or Las Vegas', syntax is wrong.

The correct phrase would make sense, seeing that's
he's using it before going off to the wild (even
without Guido?) csun conference. (grin).

Cindy